Cottage & Secondary Home Insurance

Protect your home away from home.

It’s always a good feeling when you can get away and enjoy some quality time at the cottage.  Whether you have a cottage you use from Victoria Day weekend until Thanksgiving or a secondary home that you enjoy all year round, we have a variety of insurance products to meet your needs.

Cottages are typically insured on a named perils form, meaning that they are only covered for things like fire, lightning, smoke, and impact by aircraft or land vehicle.

Comprehensive full replacement costs policies may be purchased for additional costs, depending on your unique situation.

Additional Insurance Coverages

Additional coverages to consider include:

• Protection from earthquakes, overland water damages, or sewer backup.
Personal watercraft that is stored or used at the cottage – separate liability and property damage policies need to be purchased.
Renting out your cottage – this is not typically covered, however these coverages can be arranged.
Contents – if you store your belongings at the cottage year round, please make sure you have adequate content coverage amounts for them.
Contents that are taken back and forth from your primary home need to be insured under your primary home insurance policy.
Outbuildings (e.g. a bunkie, or boat house) – these buildings on your property may not be automatically covered under your policy and will require separate coverage.

How is insurance pricing determined for my cottage?

A variety of factors determine the pricing of your cottage/secondary home including:

If it is on an island or boat access only
If it is hydrant-protected or near a responding fire house
The maximum time your property is left unoccupied
The construction type, wiring, plumbing, and heating source

There are a wide variety of coverages available for cottages and secondary homes in Ontario.

Contact the cottage experts at Jeffery & Spence today
to discuss your options.